Tuesday 21 April 2015

On gender disappointment...

This is a tricky post to write, and one I considered not posting at all.  I'd like to start by saying that I am of course delighted to be pregnant and know that I'm very lucky, especially after a previous  miscarriage.

However, I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that ever since we found out we were pregnant, I've been imagining our unborn baby as a girl.  Swooning over pink clothes and imagining all the fun mummy and daughter activities we were going to do.  I love all things Disney and girly and delight in making up dance routines with my nieces so I was fully embracing my future daughter and all the girly things we could do.

Until they told me he was a boy!! I wont lie, whilst I was beyond relieved to see that tiny heartbeat flickering away and to see his tiny arms and legs waving around, when they said he was a boy I felt really disappointed.  While my fiance whooped in delight with tears in his eyes, I held back tears for a completely different reason.

The sadness lasted all the way home - whilst being sure not to let on how I was really feeling - and the more I thought about it the worse I felt.  I felt like a terrible person and a horrible mummy.

But let me just say now that these feelings are normal.  I love the little baby boy growing inside me more than anything in the world and I will love him twice as much when he's here - just as much as I would have loved a girl.  That doesn't mean that I cant mourn the loss of something I had imagined in my head.

I googled gender disappointment when I got home, the way I seem to be googling everything in this pregnancy and there's quite a mix of opinions out there.  Of course, many of the judgy forums have people telling you how terrible you are but there are also a lot of people also going through it.  From first time mamas like me to those with 4 girls already who are dreaming of a boy.

The fact is it is normal, hormones are all over the place and while all we want is a healthy baby, its okay to have had plans for one sex or the other.  And like my fiance points out - maybe our little one will love Disney just as much as me and will shun football for dancing! Whatever he does, he'll be ours and we'll love him regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment